Monday 9 March 2015

Meeting a family member...

Hood pulled tightly to her face, small in stature although direct in approach. 
She stood at the subway between the stairs and the escalators. Swarms of people spilling every which way, as she tried to be heard among the heavy flow of traffic. 
 Hospital bands dangling from her thin wrists caught my attention as I back tracked, missing her the first time. I was stunned at the tired desperation that cloaked her face, as I moved up close with the assumption of meeting anger.
" What do you need"? I asked.
With  eyes darting back and forth , her words came tumbling out in broken English. She shared that her health was very bad she had just come out of the hospital and had been instructed to buy fresh vegetables, and didn't have the means. 
I was fortunately able to help her out, as I had recently been gifted some extra money, I had leftovers.   
Her reaction was one I would never have anticipated. " No, No, No, you stopped that was enough, you don't need to give me anything else". She spoke clearly flailing her arms. I explained that it was a gift that I had been given from someones generosity and I wanted to share it with her to get veggies.
She bargained stubbornly, making me promise that I would accept her paying me back so she could be generous as well to me. 
Humor slipped it's way in,  smiles tiptoed across our faces as we came to a compromise.
Gripping my shoulders with a strange mix of tender firmness, face close to mine, eyes locked for a long moment, " Why"? she asked softly.
I thought for a moment, searching for the right words unsure of what they were.
" I love Jesus". I shared hesitantly causing me to feel slightly foolish as I questioned my response. 
With eyes welling up, and arms pulling me close in a swift moment, she whispered " I love Jesus too". 
In that beautiful moment we shared, we were family we were united.
" Now I can go, and I love you". She said with another hug, and kiss on the cheek.







No comments:

Post a Comment