Sunday 3 January 2016

"The messy, piercing ache of now..."

"The joy wonder could be here!
 Here in the messy, piercing ache of now, 
joy might be - unbelievably- possible!"
Ann Voskamp


She tugs at thigh high boots
feet crumpled and cramped
musing at little toes crying out 
thick curls of hairspray
  red, darling smile
she takes a break from her night work
contagious laughter fills the space 
with wide eyes, a gentle yet proclaiming tone
she hoots "praise Jesus"
enjoying her spontaneous self
she squeals again for good measure
letting out a string of blessing words
she playfully directs my face to hers 
to guarantee my listening
"don't forget he hears you"
scolding me with gentle laughter 
lighting up with mischief, unable to contain her secret
 with head resting back, she belts a U2 song
I slowly join her
I baffle inwardly at the rare joy wonder I am beholding
I  am undone in the messy, piercing ache of now
I take in the moment as she shows me joy-
unbelievable joy
somehow possible on this night.






No comments:

Post a Comment