Monday 23 February 2015

A taste of Heaven

His face lit up as he gestured,  inviting me to dance with him. He swayed to the music, with a childlike grin, stomping his foot to the beat,  as I with awkward reluctance joined him on the floor.
 
A bashfullnes accompanied me that surprised myself, as he twirled me without a care in the world. I was struck by the people around me, the joyful abandon in each person as they simply danced.  Laughter spilling everwhere, contagious and freeing.
 
Such a unique mix of people. Some were young adults, some were homeless, some were students, others were seniors, or small children. I was in awe of the beauty in each person spinning, jumping, and clapping all together.
 
I was delightfully humbled, as others showed me how to dance, how to not worry what people thought, how to not hold back but just let go, to be free, be childlike, to just dance.
 
I knew the presence of Christ was among us in very tangible ways that night, it was profound yet simple. I could see it playing across the faces of each person. I could feel it in the warmth, tenderness and sense of belonging that hung in the room.  I could hear it in the music, the words spoken, the sound of feet hitting the old wooden floor, that still small voice of the father delighting in his children's play.
 
This is hard for me to quite express into words, but I couldn't help but sense that what we were experiencing as a community was a glimpse of what heaven would be like.





No comments:

Post a Comment