Thursday 12 February 2015

Some Love Thoughts

Today I am pondering love. 
My perspective is being impacted by the people I am blessed to call friends. 

 Love in my experience is often spoken through words, communicated through touch, silently expressed through a gaze, and demonstrated through actions. 

It is beautiful, sacrificial, forgiving, tender, safe  and secure. 

It is a gift freely for me to give and lovely to accept.

Human beings are designed and created for love. 

For those of us who have been accustomed to  love, it's a natural, regular part of life.


I grew up with a father who spent time with me, cuddled me every day, carried me to bed when i fell asleep in the car, would take me on dates, bike ride adventures, swim for hours with me, and constantly say " I love you".

I grew up with a mother who thought I was the coolest kid in the world, spent endless hours reading with me, taking me on picnics, playing dressup , loved holding me, and calling me endearing sweet names. 

As I am given the gift of hearing my friends stories on the streets, I am growing familiar with the all too frequent reality that  many have no concept or point of reference when it comes to  love. Many do not have fond memories like the ones I have described.

Warped ideas of healthy love.
Abusive touch, love tied to fear and pain for many. Hurtful verbal messages deeply ingrained in their minds, crippling them. So much dysfunction and unhealthiness, many are not able to grasp what safe real love is. I am often blown away by the shattered sense of self worth many carry with them in broken pieces. 

"Undeserving of love. Not beautiful enough. I deserve to be hit and abused. I am too far gone, too dirty, to messed up. I shouldn't be living. I am not good enough." All heartbreaking words that are voiced.

My hope is that love will be restored in the lives of my friends. I pray that they would allow Christ to heal and transform their lives. Countless are searching, grasping, looking for this love in many negative places. 

May each child come to know...
The tender, loving touch of their heavenly father. 
The words filled with truth he longs to whisper and speak. 
The healing of deep gaping wounds
The transformation from despair to hope
The peace and trust that comes with knowing Jesus
The worth, beauty and affirmation that comes from the creator.


These are difficult realities, and yet in the midst of their very real battles, I have experienced the unselfish, genuine love from these individuals, they are amazing. God teaches me alot through their lives and circumstances. I am humbled often by their generosity, delighted in their affirming and encouraging words  spoken into my life. I am captivated by their raw, authentic beauty, and the ways in which it is revealed.









No comments:

Post a Comment