Friday 3 October 2014

To Love and be Loved.



The subway station was packed, people were running every direction, and I was being carried along with the fast paced traffic. 
Suddenly, for a split second he caught my eye. An elderly gentleman, with a cane, struggling to manage a grocery bag. His struggle was not noticeable, as he was very easy to miss in his very slow pace. 

He was the picture of weakness and frailty, I was hesitant to help him. I didn't want to embarrass  him, in case he was trying to go it alone. I approached, with limited english he couldn't understand me so I took his bag, and we proceeded to walk down one step at a time together. The walk was slow and awkward, no words exchanged between us. 

Eventually we made it to the bottom of the stairs, he turned to me and very slowly and thoughtfully he looked at me with kind eyes " You are kind, you are gentle, thank you". I was moved by his his heart, and his love for me, so genuine. We were complete strangers but there was love between us. 

We rode the subway together, and as we departed he kissed my hand, no words needed. 
I have never been so moved by the friendship of a stranger.


2 comments:

  1. Jess, you have such a beautiful soul. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely in the right place, a very bright light in a dark world! Shine on Girl!

    ReplyDelete