Thursday 30 October 2014

Two Identities...


He stands tall, often towering over people. Dressed head to toe in black, black tall pumps,and a black long overcoat mid calf.
Long thin colored hair, very long painted fingernails, and an ever changing identity.

One identity:   creepy, psycho, shocking, dark ,this is what people on the streets label him as. He seems to live into that label, he is attention seeking in making big gestures to be these things. Every night  I spend time with him on the van he never fails to run his long fingernails down someones arm to get a reaction , tilt his head while staring at someone with scary eyes hoping for alarm, breathe his  hot breath close to a persons face wiggling his tongue causing discomfort.

I was caught off guard by this guy when I first met him months ago , I was a little fearful, and unsure of what to make of him, or how to treat him, when he did these things in front of me or to me. I have been learning to look past these behaviors and to focus on really treating him like a gentleman, with respect and dignity, not holding him to this stereotype. We are weekly having good conversations, he is sharing more, and I am seeing glimpses into this other identity.

Other Identity: He is fun, interesting, talented, and lively. He is enjoyable to have conversations with, and he is genuine in his care for others. He is appreciative and gentle, loyal to his friends. He likes sharing his interests, and teaching people what he has learned. He loves music, and is a good singer. He has a great smile, when it's real.

He is caught between two identities. Both so opposite. I really love this guy, I look forward to hanging out with him on the RV every week, he is my friend . Though it confuses and saddens me when he goes back and forth all the time. I pray that he becomes more of the man he was made to be, and less of what others have told him he is.

Please pray that whatever keeps him enslaved, he begins to desire freedom from. My hope is he will one day know the God that created him with such care, worth and purpose, and  that he will enter into a personal relationship with him through Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment